Installing a multi-camera security system is a great way to deter criminals and keep your home or business safe. But before you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with 24/7 surveillance, you need to install the cameras properly. While the installation process may seem intimidating at first, it's actually quite easy once you know the basics.
Here are some basic security camera easy install tips to help you get started:
Decide on the Right Security Cameras
For this installation set-up, we'll focus on plug-and-play wired security camera installation, which is easy to set up and doesn't require any extra security measures. The first step is to decide on the right security cameras for your needs. Depending on the size and layout of your home or business, you'll need to select either indoor or outdoor security cameras.
Here, you have two main options: dome and bullet security cameras.
- Dome security cameras are typically used indoors, as they're less noticeable than bullet security cameras. They feature a vandal-resistant design and can be mounted low to monitor activity without being noticed. They're perfect for areas like hallways, stairwells, and common areas. Install tips for dome security cameras are easy in most cases.
- Bullet security cameras are the more popular choice for outdoor security camera installation. They're easy to spot, which can deter potential intruders, and they're also weatherproof, so you don't have to worry about them shorting out in the rain or snow. They also offer a wider field of view than dome security cameras, making them ideal for monitoring large areas.
Once you've decided on the right security cameras, it's time to start the installation process.
Choose the Right location to Position Your Security Cameras
One of the most important aspects of installing security cameras is choosing the right location to position them. If you place your security cameras in the wrong spot, they will be less effective and could even put your security at risk. Here are a few basic security camera easy install tips to help you choose the right location to position your security cameras:
- The first step is to determine what you want your security cameras to accomplish. Do you want them to deter crime? Or do you simply want to monitor activity around your home or business?
- Once you know what you want your security cameras to do, you can start narrowing down potential locations. A good rule of thumb is to place your security cameras in areas that are most likely to be targeted by criminals.
- Another thing to consider is the field of view for your security cameras. You'll want to ensure that your security cameras have a wide field of view to cover as much area as possible or even a motorized adjustable lens so that you can achieve the perfect angle.
- Finally, you'll want to consider any obstructions that could block the view of your security cameras. Trees, buildings, and other objects can all block the view of your security cameras, so you'll need to position them carefully to avoid any blind spots.
By following these basic security camera easy install tips, you can ensure that your security cameras are installed in the best possible location to deter crime and protect your property.
Drill Holes and Run Security Camera Cables
Remember, we're focusing on IP wired security camera installation, so you'll need to drill holes in your walls to run the security camera cables. Try to make these holes as inconspicuous as possible and ensure they're not too big. In this case, we're talking about a CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cable, which transmits power and video over a single cable for effortless installation.
Standard IP cameras can be run up to 325ft, so that's how much cable you'll need to get the job done. If you need a longer cabling distance, you can buy repeaters and switches to do that. If you can't do the cabling yourself, you can hire any contractor, handyman, or electrician to help you run the camera cables. Once the cabling is complete, it's time to mount the cameras.
Mount the Security Cameras Securely
So far, these easy security camera installation tips have focused on the groundwork alone for wired security camera installation. Now, you need to mount your security cameras and consider how you're mounting your security cameras. If a burglar or vandal is determined enough, they could potentially damage or even steal your security cameras. That's why it's important to ensure your security cameras are mounted securely.
The best way to do this is to use a security camera mounting bracket. These brackets are designed to be tamper-proof, and they'll offer your security cameras the best protection possible. There are different types of security camera brackets available, so make sure you choose the right one for your needs and the type of security camera you're installing.
Connect the Cameras to the Video Recorder and Set It Up
Our next security camera tip for an easy install is to connect the cameras to the video recorder. For hardwired security cameras, this is as simple as running the power and video cables from the camera to the recorder. Once your cameras are connected to the recorder, you'll need to turn it on and set it up. This usually involves:
- Downloading the PC software or smartphone app
- Creating user accounts
- Setting recording schedules
- Configuring security features for motion detection, playback features, and remote viewing using your phone, computer, or tablet
If you're unsure how to do this, consult your security camera's manual or the instructions that came with your video recorder. Most video recorders come with space for multiple security-grade hard drives, so you can add more storage as needed.
Enjoy Superior Video Surveillance
Hardwired IP security cameras are reliable and provide superior quality, uninterrupted video monitoring. This is the main reason why they are chosen over wireless security cameras by many homeowners and businesses. With our basic security camera easy install tips, you can install your wired security cameras like a pro.
By installing the security cameras yourself, you save thousands of dollars you would otherwise spend on hiring a professional security company. You can be satisfied knowing that your property is protected. At CCTV Security Pros, we're committed to providing our customers with the best security solutions that fit their needs and budget.
CCTV Security Pros provides the highest quality security cameras and accessories at the most competitive prices backed by unlimited USA-based support over the product's life. Want to learn more about wired security camera installation? Call 888.653.2288 to speak with a security expert today.