Easy Steps to Choosing a POE Camera Security System
Posted by Gregory DeRouanna on Mar 2, 2020
Internet Protocol (IP) and Power Over Ethernet (PoE) camera systems are quickly becoming the new industry standard in business-class surveillance. They offer state-of-the-art security with superior image resolution ranging from 1080p to 4K Ultra-HD, as well as superior features like remote viewing via phone, tablet, or PC and easy plug-and-play installation.
They’re a perfect choice for newer buildings or properties that already have CAT5/6 cabling. If you’re a business or property owner looking to upgrade to IP security cameras or the latest IP surveillance systems, here are some easy steps to help you make the right choice.
Getting Started With IP Security Camera Surveillance
When it comes to buying a PoE camera system, you can purchase security cameras, cables, and video recorders separately, or you can choose to buy a complete security system that is customized to meet your needs. Whatever you choose, it’s important to consider some of these factors to ensure that your PoE camera security system best fits your needs.
- The number of cameras you’ll need based on entry points and property size
- Outdoor CCTV cameras should be vandal-proof and weather-resistant
- Establish your overall storage requirements as well as bandwidth needs
- Ease of installation and use of the security system
- Proper lighting conditions in and around the surveillance monitoring area
- Existing surveillance setups so you can know whether upgrading to a PoE camera system is the best choice
Choose the Right Security Camera Style
Before buying a security camera system, it’s important to ask yourself what type of CCTV camera and style is ideal for your property. Do you want features like motion detection and pan-tilt-zoom? Are you looking for vandal-proof cameras for outdoor use? Or maybe you want a simple wireless system for discrete monitoring? There are various types of security cameras designed to meet different needs.
- Dome cameras - These security cameras feature a protective dome and are ideal for use indoors where wide-angle surveillance is needed. You’ll find them in banking halls, malls, and other commercial areas.
- Infrared bullet cameras - These are smaller in size, sleeker, and typically installed in fixed surveillance areas like entry points, exits, driveways, walkways, and other outdoor areas. There are advanced PoE security camera systems in this style.
- Professional box cameras - These are traditional-style cameras that are widely used in outdoor areas like pathways, streets, parking lots, perimeter walls, front yards, and other outdoor areas.
- PTZ cameras - These cameras are capable of pan-tilt-zoom control, allowing wider and more flexible surveillance of large areas such as parking lots, streets, warehouses, and public areas.
- Hidden cameras - These are perfect for discreet monitoring in strategic locations where you want to monitor people coming in and out, such as business entry points or your home.
- Wireless camera - These are ideal for situations where you simply can’t run PoE ethernet cables.
Decide on the Right Features
After deciding what security camera type and style you want, it’s time to look at the features. The best PoE camera systems ensure you stay connected from anywhere you go with a variety of advanced features designed to improve use and functionality. Here are some of the must-have features to look out for:
- High Resolution - This is one of the most critical factors when buying IP security cameras. The higher the resolution, the better the quality and clarity of the images and recorded video. Choose from 2MP, 4MP, 5MP, and 8MP security camera systems depending on your budget and needs.
- Night Vision - Infrared night vision technology ensures that you have reliable surveillance day and night. With long-range night vision, you don’t have to worry about recording high-quality footage even in complete darkness. Look for IP security systems with Wide Dynamic Range for quality recording in both low-light and no-light conditions.
- Motion Detection - This feature is important when you want to limit the amount of unnecessary footage recorded. Your PoE security camera system will only record when the camera sensors detect motion. With a complete PoE surveillance system, you can get real-time notifications and alerts on your phone whenever motion is detected.
- Weatherproof & Vandal-proof Design - This is crucial for outdoor IP security cameras that are constantly exposed to the elements. The weatherproof design ensures that the cameras can perform reliably in all weather conditions. A vandal-proof design protects the cameras from vandalism and damage.
- Other Features - There are other advanced features you should look for, including digital zooming capability, wide-angle viewing, H.265 video compression technology, and easy QR-code setup. Review each PoE security camera system before making a decision.
Consider Your Security Needs Now and in the Future
Investing in the latest IP PoE security system can be an expensive venture, especially if you’re installing a completely new surveillance system or upgrading from an analog system. So, before you decide on buying a security system, consider your security needs now and in the future. Will you need more security cameras in the future? What about enhancing security as your business grows?
Scalability is a key factor to consider when investing in PoE security camera systems. For instance, if you want to cover a large area, you may consider buying a 4K security camera with wide-angle viewing instead of buying multiple 1080p security cameras to cover the same area. Analyze your options carefully before making a purchase.
Why Choose IP Surveillance Systems?
- The gold standard in video surveillance
- Top-range surveillance ranging from 1080p to 4K resolution
- Simple to install with Power-over-Ethernet (PoE)
- Power, video, and audio are fully integrated into a single connection cable
- Fewer cables and less maintenance means more versatility
- IP security cameras are perfect for newer buildings with new CAT5 or CAT6 cable wiring
- Wired security cameras are recommended, but wireless cameras are available
Shop at CCTV Security Pros Today
Wondering what the best PoE security camera system is for your needs? Experience the perfect combination of superior performance and simplicity with our CCTV Security Pros IP camera systems. Our systems feature our commercial-grade IP Network Video Recorders and include all the parts and accessories you need for a complete setup.
Order professional-grade security cameras and systems at CCTV Security Pros and enjoy easy plug-and-play setup backed by our unlimited USA-based support, free shipping, and a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee. If you need help with selecting, customizing, or installing our PoE IP security camera systems, call 888.653.2288 to speak with a security expert.