Whether you're a homeowner or a business owner, it's important to choose security cameras that provide high-quality footage and reliable performance indoors and outdoors. The first thing you'll want to consider when purchasing the right security camera is the resolution. A higher resolution means more detail can be captured, and it's easier to identify suspects should any criminal activity occur.
If you are looking for a new security camera system or to upgrade an old system, one of your first considerations should be the resolution. HD 1080p and 2K 1440p are two reliable mid-tier resolutions your security cameras may feature. They’re much sharper and clearer than old 720p cameras, but don’t reach the heights of 4K 2160p resolution featured by top-of-the-line 4K camera systems. See our comparison of 1080p vs 2K security cameras so you can make an informed decision to enhance the security of your property, or contact us for free expert advice.
1080p Security Cameras
Over the last decade, 1080p security cameras have been the standard resolution for surveillance. It's the most common type of camera resolution, providing clear HD images with a resolution of 1,920×1,080 pixels.
1080p security cameras offer higher quality than 720p cameras but less detailed images than 2K cameras or the 4K security cameras referred to as ultra HD. As a result, 1080p is ideal for capturing details in most residential or commercial applications, including:
- Homes - front yards, backyards, walkways, and garages,
- Businesses - storefronts, offices, storerooms, and parking lots
- Vacation homes, construction sites, RVs, sailing boats, marinas, and more
When to choose 1080p vs 2K security cameras
- When you want a simple HD video surveillance solution for general-purpose use
- When you don't want to spend more money on high-end cameras
- When 1080p resolution is sufficient enough for your home or business surveillance needs
You can customize your own 1080p security system with multiple security cameras with the features you need and connect them to a network video recorder (NVR) or digital video recorder (DVR). This way, you can enjoy remote viewing, recording, and playback 24/7 on your PC, smartphone, or tablet.
2K Security Cameras
2K security cameras, also referred to as 1440p, Quad HD, or QHD cameras, are a great upgrade to 1080p resolution. They provide a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels, which is higher than what 1080p security cameras offer. When you compare 1080p vs 2K security cameras, you'll notice that when you zoom in on a 2K video, it will retain more clarity compared to a 1080p video.
With 2K security cameras, you can digitally zoom and pan your images and increase the sharpness and image color without losing any video quality. While the difference between the two seems relatively minor, comparison videos show that a higher resolution camera produces clearer images.
2K security cameras are ideal for:
- Reading license plates and street signs
- Identifying people's faces in high traffic areas
- Monitoring high-security points like building entry and exit points
- Monitoring busy areas like parking lots and large storefronts
When to choose 2K vs 1080p security cameras
- When you want better resolution than 1080p but don't want to spend more on 4K security cameras
- When upgrading from analog or HD-over-Coax security cameras to a higher resolution surveillance system
- When you want to save money and enjoy less bandwidth usage and storage consumption without sacrificing the image quality
Just like 1080p HD security cameras, you can also customize your own surveillance system with different types of cameras and an NVR with advanced surveillance features to suit your needs. Consider choosing IP 2K security cameras, which offer better quality, remote viewing, and easier installation.
What Features Should You Consider?
Now that we've compared 1080p vs 2K security cameras, it's time to look at the most important features to consider. Whether you want to enhance your security capabilities, reduce theft and shrinkage in your business, or scale your existing security system, you need clear video coverage of your property at all times of day and night.
- Remote Viewing - One of the most important features to consider is the ability to remotely view live footage on a PC, smartphone, or tablet from anywhere, anytime. This ensures that your home or business can be monitored at all times, and you're not limited to just the hours when someone is on-site.
- Infrared Night Vision - This feature uses infrared light to provide visibility in the dark. With night vision capability, you can see what's going on outside your home or business when it would otherwise be too dark to make anything out.
- Weatherproof and Vandal-Proof Housing - Installing security cameras outdoors means that the housing must be able to withstand rain, hail, snow, and other weather elements. It should also protect against vandalism since most security cameras are installed in areas with a higher risk of theft or damage.
- Wide Angle Viewing - Another important feature is the camera's viewing angle. The wider the view, the more you can see and monitor whatever is happening in your coverage area.
- Security Camera Support - Even the best security systems might need some tweaking to work optimally. Installation, equipment choices, or bandwidth limitations could all pose problems without a competent support team. Opting for a direct supplier like CCTV Security Pros that offers unlimited USA-based tech support at no cost gives you some extra peace of mind.
- Other Features - Look out for additional features like digital zooming, two-way audio, motion detection, and others. Before deciding on 1080p vs 2K security cameras, you need to consider more than simple resolution. Check to see what features are available with each model and which ones match your surveillance needs the best. Be sure that the camera will integrate well with your other cameras before making any purchases.
Shop Security Cameras at CCTV Security Pros
Looking to buy 1080p or 2K security cameras? Shop at CCTV Security Pros. 60,000+ customers trust us. All our security systems support remote viewing at no monthly fees and are easy to set up. Order now and enjoy free unlimited USA tech support, free shipping, a 30-day 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee, and a 3-year warranty.
Have any questions about 1080p vs 2K security cameras? Call us at 888.653.2288.