Security cameras can seem to be complicated and challenging hardware to install. There’s wiring and weather-proofing to consider for outside installations, but the reality is that this is easier to do than you might expect. You can also save thousands of dollars by installing these systems yourself or with your staff.
Here's a quick guide on installing an outdoor security camera.
Know What Type of Security Camera You Want to Install
Before you get started, you'll want to decide whether you wish to install HD-over-Coax or PoE outdoor security cameras. In most cases, you'll want to install a PoE security camera system. This is easy to do since the only wires you need to be connected to your outdoor security cameras are the ethernet cables that carry both data and power. In other words, you don't have to worry about connecting separate data, and power cables for each of your outdoor IP cameras.
You'll also want to decide whether you want a bullet security camera, dome security camera, or easy to install outdoor PTZ security camera. Each comes with its own unique set of benefits. For instance, outdoor security cameras with PTZ capabilities allow you to zoom in and out on a scene for a better view, something that can be very important if you have a large property.
Decide Where to Install Your Outdoor Security Camera
Next, you're going to choose where you'll place it. You need somewhere with a clear view of entry and exit points that's easy for you to get access to for installation purposes, but at the same time not vulnerable to vandalism or easy access for thieves.
Experts recommend employing easy to install outdoor security cameras on the front door, back door, or off-street window. These positions are ideal as they maximize the effectiveness of your surveillance camera.
Prepare Everything You Need for the Installation
You'll also need to gather some supplies for the installation. You'll need a ladder, screwdriver, drill, screws, anchors, ethernet cables, PoE injector or switch, and camera mounting bracket. The type of bracket you'll need depends on the style of your camera. Most cameras come with their own mounting brackets. You'll also need a way to record and store your video. Most NVRs have a hard drive for this purpose, so make sure the one you choose is compatible with your security camera.
The Step By Step Installation Process
DIY enthusiasts and security camera novices can breathe easy – an outdoor security camera is easy to install. Here, we’ll outline the step-by-step installation process for a PoE (Power over Ethernet) outdoor security camera.
- Pick a good installation spot with a clear and wide view - Avoid areas where the camera lens may be exposed to direct sunlight. Don't point your camera to your neighbor's properties or anywhere with a reasonable expectation of privacy.
- Mount your PoE outdoor security camera on the wall - Drill a hole in the wall and use the screws included in your security camera kit to mount it on. Make sure to point the camera in the right position and angle.
- Run your security camera wires and cables - By now, you should have already decided where you're going to route your ethernet cable for your PoE camera. This is vital if you're planning to install multiple cameras.
- Connect your outdoor security camera to a power source - If you have chosen a PoE model, simply connect the ethernet cable from your camera to an open port on your router or switch. Then, use the provided power adapter to plug into an outlet. Don't forget to connect your camera to a video recorder.
- Configure your outdoor security camera - It's not to set up your outdoor security camera. Make sure to follow all the instructions provided by the camera's manufacturer. Most manufacturers offer a mobile app and PC software for easy setup. Customize your surveillance features on the app/software, including remote viewing on smartphone, PC, and tablet, 24/7 recording, motion detection, alerts, and more to suit your needs.
- Test your easy to install outdoor security camera - Make sure to test your camera once you've configured everything. Confirm whether your PoE outdoor security camera features, such as motion detection, night vision, and so on, are working as expected. Check how far or wide the camera coverage is and whether the image quality meets your requirements.
Now you know how easy it is to install a PoE outdoor security camera. The process is straightforward and doesn't require any special technical expertise.
Get the Support You Need at CCTV Security Pros
If you need help installing an outdoor security camera, CCTV Security Pros is here to help you with our free unlimited USA tech support. Contact our friendly customer support team to learn more about easy to install PoE outdoor security cameras. Whether it's for a home or business installation, we have everything you need, including easy-to-use network video recorders, security cameras, and accessories.
Call 888.653.2288 to speak with a security expert.