A reliable video surveillance network is a daily need for business and property owners. While there are various components to a video surveillance system, security camera resolution is one of the most critical components. If you're a small to medium-sized business or a property owner, you may be wondering what will work best for you between 1080p vs 4k security cameras.
The answer is simple: it depends on your surveillance monitoring needs and other factors like your budget. Here, we compare high definition vs 4k security cameras and look at insights for choosing a resolution that fits your surveillance applications.
1080p Full HD Security Cameras
In recent years, 1080p has been the standard video resolution for video surveillance in businesses and properties. High definition security cameras have achieved incredible success in the consumer market and continue to be a reliable monitoring option for general-purpose video surveillance. 1080p security cameras produce images with a resolution of 1920x1080, and are considered high definition.
If you're looking to upgrade your security cameras or want to enhance the security of your property, you'll have to decide what resolution is suitable for your application. Below, we'll compare 1080p vs 4k security cameras.
When to Choose 1080p Security Cameras
- You need a simple HD video surveillance solution for general-purpose use
- You don't want to spend much money on high-end ultra-HD 4K security cameras
- When 1080p is sufficient for your property surveillance needs
1080p security cameras offer clear images with vivid details for monitoring entrances to homes, small business storefronts, garages, walkways, backyards, barns, farms, vacation homes, RVs, construction sites, boats, marinas, and the list goes on. They provide up to five times higher image resolution than standard analog video cameras and use the 16:9 footage format. These security cameras are still the most widely used monitoring option today.
Customize your own surveillance system with multiple security cameras and connect them to a video recorder, IP NVR or HD DVR, to enjoy live remote viewing and recording on PC, smartphone, and tablet anytime, anywhere. When comparing 1080p vs 4k security cameras, you'll note that 4K security cameras perform better when it comes to identifying finer details like people's faces and license plates at a distance.
4K Ultra HD Security Cameras
4K ultra-HD security cameras offer superior image quality, color, and performance over 1080p security cameras. They provide up to four times higher image and video resolution than the standard 1080p. This video resolution also uses the 16:9 format. 4K security cameras are increasingly becoming a first-choice for many businesses and property owners looking to enhance their security with high-quality surveillance products.
These ultra-HD security cameras have a resolution of 3840*2160 with over 8 million pixels. They are 8 megapixels minimum. When looking at 1080p vs 4k security cameras, you'll also note that 8MP security cameras offer more benefits like digital zooming for more details and a wider field of view for monitoring larger areas.
When to Choose 4K Security Cameras
- You need a high-security camera resolution for your application
- You need to monitor large areas like parking lots on a single security camera
- You plan to upgrade your surveillance monitor or resolution
- You need a future-proof video surveillance solution
- You're willing to spend on the latest in video surveillance technology
Looking at high definition vs 4k security cameras, you can appreciate the fact that 4K security cameras are superior. They're perfect for monitoring parking lots, open offices, front yards, warehouses, driveways, multi-tenant buildings, commercial spaces, and small businesses like bars, restaurants, hotels, and shops. While 4K cameras come with a higher price and require more bandwidth and storage space, new video compression technology is reducing the amount of storage needed.
Whether you want to catch and prevent theft by employees with discreet security cameras or enhance property-wide security with a complete surveillance system, you must decide what resolution fits your needs best: 1080p vs 4k security cameras. When making a decision, think of compatibility and scalability. Will you be adding more cameras in the future? Are the cameras compatible with your NVR?
Features That Matter Most
- Video Resolution - As you know by now, one of the most important features when choosing a security camera is image quality. Many modern security cameras offer the standard HD 1080p, while 4K is becoming more popular among users who're looking for high-end video surveillance.
- Infrared Night Vision Capability - A good security camera should provide not only great image quality during the day but also offer clear images and reliable performance even at night. Choose IP or HD security cameras that feature multiple infrared LED illuminators for excellent night vision, even in complete darkness. Whether choosing 1080p vs 4k security cameras, go for long-range night vision - up to 100ft or more.
- Weatherproof and Vandal-Proof Housing - Depending on your application of high definition vs 4k security cameras, it's wise to invest in units that feature all-weather housing and a vandal-proof design. If you're installing your security cameras outdoors, these are must-have features to ensure dependable surveillance no matter the conditions and also protect your cameras against vandalism by burglars or criminals.
- Wide Angle Viewing - Wide-angle viewing is now a common feature in most 4k security cameras vs 1080p models. This feature enables you to monitor a wider area using a single camera, reducing the need to invest in or monitor multiple cameras. Just make sure that the cameras cover the desired monitoring area. A single 4K security camera with PTZ function can offer expanded coverage that would otherwise need a few 1080p cameras.
- Security Camera Support - Even a perfect security camera will lose its edge without a reliable support team. You don't want to get stuck when trying to connect the camera and have no one to help. Companies like CCTV Security Pros, a direct supplier of commercial-grade surveillance systems, offer unlimited USA-based support over the life of the product. CCTV Security Pros also provides unlimited remote viewing via smartphone and computer at no monthly cost.
- Leading Features - There are more features to look out for, such as remote viewing, digital zoom, two-way audio, motion-detection, and others. When comparing 1080p vs 4k security cameras, see all the features available and decide which ones suit your surveillance needs. Check for compatibility issues, especially if you're adding security cameras to an existing surveillance system.
Shop Professional-Grade Security Cameras
If you're looking to buy 1080p or 4K security cameras, shop at CCTV Security Pros. Our security cameras are easy to set up - plug & play simple. We're a brand trusted by 60,000+ customers. All our security cameras and systems support remote viewing on PC, smartphones, and tablets at no monthly fees. Order online 24/7 and enjoy unlimited USA-based support, free shipping, a 3-Year warranty, and a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee for 30 days.
Contact us at 888.653.2288 if you have any questions about our high definition vs 4k security cameras.