Network security cameras are the backbone of any IP network security camera system. Over the years, they've become the standard surveillance solution as more homeowners and businesses shift from analog and HD-over-Coax cameras. And because network surveillance systems use the internet, they can be accessed remotely from anywhere, providing a more flexible and scalable solution for monitoring your home, business, or other property.
If you're considering installing a new network security camera system or upgrading your existing surveillance system, here are the basics you need to know about IP network cameras.
What is a Network Security Camera?
A network security camera is a digital camera that can be used to monitor indoor and outdoor spaces for security purposes. They're also known as IP security cameras. These cameras rely on a network connection to transmit images and video through an Ethernet cable connection. While wireless connectivity offers more flexibility, Ethernet provides better video quality and improved performance.
One of the reasons why network IP cameras have become so popular is because of their improved resolution. These cameras are available in Full HD 1080p resolution, 2K 1440p, and 4K Ultra Hd resolution. With these options, you can easily choose the best surveillance camera for your needs.
How Network Security Cameras Work
Network security cameras work by streaming data (images, video footage, and audio) through a network to the video recording system - in this case, a network video recorder (NVR). This is usually accomplished by connecting an ethernet cable from the camera's video output to a network port on your router. You don't need a separate power supply as the ethernet cables will supply power to the camera.
In short, all you need is the camera(s), a router, ethernet cable, and a network video recorder to get started with simple plug-and-play installation. With a complete IP security system, you can capture footage in real-time and watch what's happening as it happens, from any computer with an internet connection and via a network camera viewing app installed on your smartphone or tablet.
What Are the Benefits of IP Network Security Camera Systems?
- Remote Viewing and Accessibility - One of the biggest benefits of network security cameras is that you can remotely view them from anywhere. As the IP network cameras are connected in an internet protocol network (IP), they're accessible to anyone with access to the network with appropriate permissions set up.
- Better Image Quality - IP network systems are a newer technology, and those cameras tend to be newer and better. Modern security cameras tend to provide better image quality due to larger image sensors and the ability to capture more light. It's easier to capture images in low lighting conditions without any delays or flickering that may be seen with analog cameras. Enjoy more vivid colors and sharper images.
- Scalable and Flexible Systems - IP network security cameras are scalable, meaning that you can add as many cameras to your network as needed. The cameras offer flexibility because they're designed with various mounting options for different settings and purposes, such as indoor or outdoor installation.
- Video Analytics - The latest IP security cameras come with video analytics, a new technology that helps detect motion. This means you can get alerts on your mobile devices about any activity in the camera's detection zone. Additional intelligence features include face detection, object tracking, and more.
- Easy to Install - Setting up a security camera system can be done without any initial setup or configuration by simply plugging it in. The software may require downloading and installing depending on your device, but it's easy to do with no configuration.
- Compatible With Existing Infrastructure - If your building is wired for Ethernet access, you can deploy network security cameras with ease. You don't have to install new cables or modify your existing network.
- Cost-Effective Surveillance Solution - Network security cameras are cost-effective security measures. You can protect your residential and commercial property, employees, and visitors with a network security camera system without breaking the bank. With just a few IP cameras, your entire property can be monitored.
- Regulatory Compliance - Installing IP security cameras will help you become compliant with regulatory standards and requirements. You're required to store footage from your IP network security camera for a certain number of days (depending on the country or state you reside in). This is important in case an incident occurs that requires an investigation. If you don't have a video recording of the event, it may be difficult or impossible to find out what happened.
- Reliable and Durable - Network security camera systems are also a great option if you need something reliable and durable. IP cameras are equipped with the latest technology, so they're more reliable than analog systems. They're built with materials that can withstand the elements, so you won't have to worry about them becoming corroded or rusted.
Types of IP Security Cameras
- Fixed - They're equipped with a fixed lens that provides excellent visibility to only one area or direction. These cameras are useful in places with little space but can't cover a lot of ground at once.
- PTZ (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) - These network security cameras are great for moving objects. They allow you to move the camera's lens up, down, left, and right as well as zoom in or out from a certain area. They're perfect for monitoring large areas like office buildings.
- Dome - Dome cameras provide excellent coverage and visibility, so they're great for indoor and outdoor settings. They feature wide-angle lenses that cover an entire area. They're small and discreet, making them ideal for businesses, offices, bank halls, and homes.
- Infrared Bullet - These cameras are ideal for outdoor settings, providing up to 100 feet of visibility in complete darkness. They feature infrared technology and motion detection with night vision capabilities that allow you to see clearly at all hours.
Features to Look for in a Network Security Camera System
While IP security cameras are a reliable surveillance solution, not all cameras are the same. To ensure you're getting the right security cameras, consider some of the must-have features so you can enjoy comprehensive surveillance.
- 1080p, 2K, or 4K Ultra HD video resolution
- Remote viewing on PC, smartphone, and tablet
- Infrared night vision in total darkness
- Easy plug-and-play installation
- Weather-resistant camera housing
- Vandal-resistant camera housing
- Customizable IP camera network
- Smart recording and playback
- Unlimited tech support
- Sufficient video storage
- Professional-grade network video recorder
Shop at CCTV Security Pros Today
Ready to install a new network security camera system? CCTV Security Pros has a wide selection of network cameras available. Enjoy free support when you need help with installation or have questions. All our IP network security systems come with a free cell phone app so you can enjoy all features such as live monitoring, advanced motion alerts, and video analytics with no monthly fees - ever.
Order your security cameras or complete surveillance system with total confidence. All our products come with a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee, a 3-year warranty, and free lifetime tech support. Need advice? Call us at (888) 653-2288.